"Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, it there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things." Phil 4:8

June 8, 2011

Warrior Prayers: Day 1- "Obedience"

Children obey you parents in the Lord for this is right. (Eph. 6:1)

Ephesians 6:1 was one of the verses that my oldest son learned at a very young age.  We have talked about the importance that the Lord places on obedience and this scripture has been a big part of helping our sons understand that this is what the Lord requires of them.  Ultimately, that is the most important; that our children follow the Lord and obey Him first.  

Having children with special needs, I have had many comments over the years where others have practically written my sons off as not "able" to understand or comprehend things that typical children can, especially when it comes to God's Word.  However, we have experienced the opposite.  We have used God's Word from day one in our prayers, when we talked to them, and especially when we discipline.  For us, as we train up our boys, it is in the ways of the Lord not in Daddy and Mommy's ways.  The ability to read scripture and answer the questions of "why do I have to do that" or "why can't I do this", has been the way we have chosen to teach our children about obedience.  God gives us so many examples of what happens when we don't obey (Jonah) and what happens when we do obey (Abraham, Noah), that it brings it to life for them and helps them to see what we are trying to communicate to them.  We have also found that they ask more questions which results in reading or talking more about God's Word and I'm amazed at what they understand and remember.

So as you pray for your son's today, remember that God is in control and He CAN do great things in your childs life.  They can learn to obey!  They can understand Gods Word!  They can memorize scripture!  They can____________!  God is able and ready to meet us where we/or our sons are, and to help us; we just need to ask.

Goal for today:
  1. Purpose to get up early and bathe your sons in prayer first thing in the morning.
  2. Pray the prayers on page 15 one at a time throughout the day (inserting your sons name).
  3. Make the prayers a part of your family devotion time, praying the prayers out loud over your son.
  4. Spend some time in concentrated prayer late at night, around bedtime. 
If you have a chance,  introduce yourself to the group in the comments section and let us know who you are and a little about the sons you are praying for,  a link back to your blog if you have one, and/or maybe something you enjoyed about today's prayer challenge. 

As for me, I'm Denise and I'm married to James and we have two sons (12) and (5).  Both of our boys came into our family by a miracle of God through the gift of adoption.  Some of the special challenges we deal with are Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) and life somewhere on the Autism Spectrum.  We have seen God do wonderful and miraculous things in our boys and I know that He will continue to guide us on this path.  If I can help you or encourage you, please let me know.  It is my desire to be an encouragement to others, especially those Mom's who face special challenges as they raise their children.  When you are discouraged take a deep breath and speak out loud the words of  Phil 4:6-8. 
                                         

5 comments:

Laryssa-5 said...

I would like to join in on the Warrior Prayers. I have a 9 yr old son with ADHD and high functioning Autism/Aspergers who has been sufering from derealization & severe separation anxiety. I will be a day behind, but I'd still like to join in. =) Thanks.

ChrisY said...

Great 1st day, had a small amount of warfare but God is good.

BTW...I'm Chris, I have one son, Marcus, 26yo (he's mine by marriage) and an 11yo son, Christopher, who I home school.
I have lupus and I have been controlling it through diet and herbs since 2000.

I'm really looking forward to these 21 day of praying for my sons.

Laryssa-5 said...

Forgot to intorduce myself to the group. My name is Laryssa. My husband and I are from the bootheel area of southeast Missouri. We have been homeschooling for the past 5 years. My oldest daughter graduated from public school, is married (her husband is in the Air Force), and has a 3 yr old son and 1 yr old daughter. They are stationed in Germany. Next in line is my oldest homeschooler; she is now in her freshman year of college. The youngest 2 include my 9 yr old son and 7 yr old daughter, both with high functioning Autism/Aspergers. We are learning to follow in His footsteps and discipling our children to do the same.

Denise said...

Welcome Laryssa! So glad you are joining us!

Whew...today was a rough one, the enemy is really trying to derail us. Chris, hearing that you were dealing with warfare today just confirms that we are in a battle.

So glad you girls are here and that you are entering this battle with me for our sons.

I know we have other ladies out there in our group, if you have a chance, please introduce yourself.

In Him,
Denise

Vilisi said...

Hi Denise, I think I've already left a comment on one of your posts today but here's beginning from the beginning. This has come at a rather opportune time. I have a 13 yo son so it's helpful to have this prayer strategy. Thanks for making this accessible. It is very much appreciated.
Blessings to you and your family.

Vilisi