"Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, it there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things." Phil 4:8

June 9, 2011

Warrior Prayers: Day 2 "Submission to Authority"

1 Peter 5:8
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

Well, day one was rough at our house, and after hearing that Brooke (The author of Warrior Prayers: Praying the Word for Boys in the Areas They Need It Most.) was in a car accident (everyone is o.k.), and that others also experienced warfare, I was reminded of the scripture in 1 Peter 5:8. This is a battle and the enemy wants to destroy!  We can't take this journey lightly, as just another program, this is serious eternal business we are doing here. I will continue to ask the Lord to protect us and our families during this time and that He would put a hedge of protection around us. 

Now, today we are praying for our boys in the area of Submitting to Authorities.  What an important area that will affect them throughout their life, not just when they are children.  Brooke shares a testimony below that illustrates the internal battle of doing what we want rather than what the "authority" of our life has instructed us to do or not to do.

Encouragement from Brooke
Today's topic flows nicely from day one’s topic, doesn’t it?

All of their lives, our sons will find themselves needing to submit to someone. From parents, to teachers, to bosses, to government officials, and even to God Himself, they will always have someone in a position of authority over them.

The other day my son fell off of an old metal merry-go-round and was nearly hit in the head by the spinning giant. I nearly had heart failure. His little blond head seemed less than an inch away from certain death … or at least a serious head injury. So, in typical mama bear fashion, I forbaide him to get on it again. Later, an older friend of his showed up and got on the merry-go-round, all the while doing his best to coax my son on with him. I watched the exchange from a bench nearby, careful to stay out of sight, and allow my son to make his ownchoice. He wanted to get on. His little legs twitched, inching close and stepping back, inching close andstepping back … his own internal merry-go-round of decision--obey mom or have fun?

I don’t want you to think my son always chooses to submit to my authority, but this particular day, he did. As his friend whirled around gleefully I heard his precious little voice say, “My mommy says I can’t get on.” He hung his head, turned around, and saw that I had been watching the whole thing. When our eyes met he saw rejoicing in mine … and I held up my arms in victory and watched him run to me to celebrate.
 “But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.” ~Acts 5:29

Goal for today:
  1. Pray the prayers on page 16 titled "Submission to Authority" one at a time throughout the day (inserting your sons name).
  2. If you haven't introduced yourself yet, please do in the comments after this blog entry.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Hello, I am doing the 21 Days of Prayer following your blog. I am a bit behind in getting started as yesterday was Day 2 for me. I found out about this wonderful challenge a few days ago and I purchased the book and just got started three days ago. I look forward to reading your posts each day for the next three weeks..