"Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, it there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things." Phil 4:8

November 27, 2011

Giving Thanks

All of November, I have been thinking about what I am thankful for that day.  It has been a transforming experience. 

In past years, I had a desire to create a "Thanksgiving Tree" where all the members of my family could write what they are thankful for on paper leaves.  Then at the end of the season we could save them and each year look back at what we were thankful for during that season of our life.  Well, this year, it took shape and we accomplished the goal!  We all have been reminded of the blessings in our life and have become more thankful.   


 As for me, this exercise has shown me:
  1. How my attitude can change toward everything going on in my life if I speak the things that I am thankful for rather than looking on the negative that may be going on around me or to me.
  2. How much I have to be thankful for.
  3. How it can change the mood in our home when we are focusing on our blessings.  
 While this was an outward expression to remind us of our blessings, it can and should be a daily pursuit.  Yes, I share what I'm thankful for in prayer by my self and with my family, and occasionally I journal about it, but what would happen if I wrote down what I was thankful for each day of my life?  I think it would make a big impact because there is just something that happens when we write things down; it allows us to look back on where we have been and it the process of writing helps us to remember things better. 

The following was the devotional thought from my A Heart at Rest devotional by Nancy Leigh De Moss from Revive our Hearts Ministries.
 
A grateful man or woman will be
a breath of fresh air in a world contaminated by
bitterness and discontentment.

Daily Encouragement (from scripture)
Whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him (Col. 3:17)

Blessings to you and your family! 


No comments: