"Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, it there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things." Phil 4:8

September 7, 2011

The joy in homeschooling

It is such a privilege to be able to teach my children at home.  Besides the “reasons” we homeschool, the best is that I get to actually see the joy when my child first learns how to do something. 

Yesterday, my 5 year old completed the first level in his Hooked on Phonics reading program.  To see how excited he was when he finished was a true “delight” to my heart!  He did it!  He pushed me to let him keep going on and he pushed himself and tried so very hard, and he did it!  I’m proud of him and excited that the more he learns to read, the closer he is to being able to read God’s Word on his own.  I think I just may bawl my eyes out when I hear him read his bible for the first time!
"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it."    
Proverbs 22:6

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your boy and great work, Mom!!! :)

Denise said...

Thanks Photographing Mom! It is so amazing to hear them read. We went to the dollar book store today, and he was able to sit down amd read two books. I really made it a big deal and told him "Now you can read the book instead of just looking at the pictures. WOW,, how exciting!" He was thrilled. One of the awesome perks to homeschooling!

revjen said...

I've been homeschooling for 11 years now. This year I have a Sophmore, an 8th grader and a 3rd grader. I never thought I would still be doing this when we started, but...11 years later I can't imagine having a different life!