"Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, it there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things." Phil 4:8

March 14, 2011

"I Can’t!" – Part 1

This morning while my son was working on an assignment in science, he started whining and saying “I can’t do this, it is too hard”! I sat down with him and asked him to put down his pencil, turn around, and take a deep breath.  He cooperated, but not with the attitude that I had hoped for.  I had to continue to direct him to do this about 2 more times until he was calm and could focus.  (It helped me to remain calm also)
Once I had his attention, I made sure that he was looking at my eyes and I began to explain “why” he was doing this assignment.  I told him that the assignment was mainly to help him learn how to teach himself to learn new information.  I gave him the steps to follow, which I have done on many previous occasions.  This time I reiterated it calmly. (I can’t say that I have done that much in the past). 
How many times have I said “I can’t do this”?  Have I stopped what I’m doing (or what I’m thinking), turned around (from the situation or feeling), and taken a deep breath (break/timeout perhaps)?  And focused?  Unfortunately, I can’t say that I have exercised this very often.
After today, when I feel like crying “I can’t”, I plan to do my best to remember to stop, turn around, take a deep breath and refocus on “why” I’m doing this (whatever the "this" is). 
Finally, my son was able to accomplish the assignment before him once he followed the steps he was given, and I did not hear him saying “I can’t” anymore today.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Phil. 4:13

No comments: