"Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, it there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things." Phil 4:8

January 1, 2012


Happy New Year!



I love the "newness" (is that a word?) of a new year.  It is like getting a fresh start.  This year, one of the goals I have set for myself is to live out 1 Peter 3:4.


"let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."


How will I plan? 
My goal is to sit down this week and make a plan very similar to how I plan my homeschool schedule and goals I want my children to accomplish that year. 

I plan to write out all of the areas where I struggle with having a "gentle and quite spirit", and then write down how I can respond to those areas in a different way so I can attain my goal.  Maybe some will be to do something specific (go take a time out for 10 minutes, sit down and write out your thoughts, take a 10 minute prayer break etc..)  or maybe I will have a scripture that I will speak out loud.  Whatever the issue, God has help and guidance for me.


How will I know if I have attained it?

The best way is if others notice it in you, which is my goal.  However, if I have a plan, I can monitor myself on a daily basis and journal about it which gives me a history to look back on to see where I am and where I have come.  This is a tool I have used over the years, that I have let slip, but realize how valuable it is for me to do. 
I know I have other goals, like the old standby "weight loss", but I am taking baby steps this week and working on a plan with 1 Peter 3:4 as my priority.
What are your goals for 2012?

Blessings,
Denise

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You brave girl...
not sure I ever achieve gentle and quiet, lol. Calm, yes, maybe, but not quite gentle nor quiet. A very good inner goal, eh?
~Sheri

Denise said...

Yes, this is a hefty goal, but so necessary in my life. I believe the Lord has been continually reminding me of this in many areas of my life. So, I press on with His help knowing I will never be perfect this side of Heaven.

You are a sweet example to me, I hope we meet face to face on the earth before we meet in heaven!