"Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, it there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things." Phil 4:8

June 12, 2011

Warrior Prayers: Day 5 "Pride"

"A mans pride will bring him low, but the humble in spirit will retain honor"
Prov. 29:23

The other day I was with my 5 year old and he did something that he marlveled over and then proceeded to say "I'm so good at that".  I cringed at the pride he had just displayed by boasting in himself.  I proceeded to stop him and told him that it was great that he was able to do what he did, but I told him you can say "I did it", but let's not be boastful and say "I'm so good at that".  As he does continually through the day, he said "why".  I told him that we boast in the Lord and what he has done, but we don't speak about how wonderful we are, because that is boasting.  I'm not sure if he understands that at his age, but I hope he will eventually get it.  Hopefully we can teach our boys humility and to be proud of their accomplishments in a balanced and biblical way.

Encouragement from Melissa Smallwood
 (creator of Multitaksing Mama)
 
Praying for my boys has changed as they have gotten older. Watching their personalities, talents and spiritual gifts emerge provides the opportunity to pray specifically for the men they are becoming. My mama heart used to pray, “God, help me be the kind of mom they need,” but as they have moved into the tween/teen years that prayer has changed. “God, help them become the men you created them to be” is what I utter now.

That man may not always be what I pictured in my mind, when they were toddling around and getting into everything. None of my three boys are anything alike and none of them are what I pictured they would be when they were still small enough to sit on my lap or welcome my kisses. And that is OK.

Proverbs 22:6 reminds us to “Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or bent], and when he is old he will not depart from it” (Amplified Bible). Prayers for our sons must be individual to that child, and sensitive to the one of a kind man God has designed each of them to be. Whether my boys grow to be doctors, pastors, or drive a milk truck, as long as they are living their lives for God’s glory, my mama heart should be pleased and satisfied.

All three of them are uniquely and wonderfully created. Praying for God to shape their hearts, trusting the master Potter He is, has allowed me to relinquish control of the outcome and cherish my role in the process of learning who they will become.

As they grow, up and away – as is God’s plan – my heart’s cry to Him is that they will lead lives pleasing to their Creator {and that they will visit their mama frequently}.

Goal for today:
  1. Commit to praying the ten prayers in the pride chapter during day five.
  2. Consider the any single moms in your life and add them to your prayers. Pray that God will bring a godly man into her son's life to show him what a holy laying down of pride looks like.
  3. If you are following along, I would love to have you comment below and let us know how you are doing.
Pride
May_________not have a haughty spirit, for pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a
fall (Proverbs 16:18).

May_________be lowly in spirit and obtain honor, for one’s pride will bring him low, but he who is
lowly in spirit will obtain honor (Proverbs 29:23).

Lord, make__________turn from doing wrong and keep him from pride (Job 33:17).

Lord, please break__________‘s proud spirit (Leviticus 26:19).

May__________take advice and gain wisdom, for with insolence comes nothing but strife
(Proverbs 13:10).

May_________not be a “Scoffer” the name of the arrogant, haughty man who acts with arrogant pride
(Proverbs 21:24).

Lord, give us the pleasure of taking great pride in_________, being filled with comfort
 (2 Corinthians 7:4).

Let_________test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his
neighbor (Galatians 6:4).

Let not the foot of arrogance come upon__________, nor the hand of the wicked drive him away
(Psalm 36:11).

Let_________talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from his mouth; for the LORD is a
God of knowledge, and by Him actions are weighed (1 Samuel 2:3).

No comments: