"Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, it there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things." Phil 4:8

April 3, 2011

TLC



At the end of the week we had to send our chickens to a new home because they were not laying enough eggs and were unable to introduce new chickens due to a bad experience we had trying to add a young chicken in with our full grown chickens.  Fortunately, we were able to purchase five new baby chickens this weekend.  Hopefully, we will begin to get eggs by September. 

One thing that I have noticed through this process is that my little ASD child is such a sweet and loving caregiver.  He loves animals, and we aren't a family that can have the normal domestic animals (cats and dogs).  It was so sweet to see his reaction and interest in all the little chickies that the family we got them from had.  He saw babies that were born the night before, all the way to full grown chickens.  It was so sweet to see how interested he was and how much he remembered from our visit.

Since we brought the chickens home, he has been so helpful!  He tried his best to help his Daddy build them a temporary home to live in until they can be put out in the chicken coop.  He was so protective of them. When he saw them huddling together, he asked me why they were doing that.  I told him that they were cold.  He replied with  "Oh no, we need to get them a blanket". I just laughed at how his mind works.

He has continued to check on them over and over again throughout the day.  He wants to make sure they are warm, and have enough food and water.  It has blessed me to see such a sweet and loving side of my son.  It also gives me hope that he has a great future ahead of him.  These moments help to encourage me on and find something that is enjoyable and provides an opportunity to teach life experiences and train him to care for Gods creation.




1 comment:

HeARTworks said...

Your story reminds me of the chick my cook brought home from the market one Christmas for my son who was a toddler then. The chick grew into a rooster, and was obviously looking for a mate because he would run after women, flapping his wings! My sister actually shouted at him, "I already have a husband!" It was very hilarious! My cook bought a hen and it eventually laid eggs. So my son and his cousins had a very educational and thrilling time when the eggs hatched! Patsy from
HeARTworks